Jersey FA U18s Leave it Late to Clinch U18 Muratti Final

A like strike from Jake Prince was the difference as Jersey FA U18s Clinch the U18 Muratti 1-0 at Springfield Stadium.

It was a Muratti day to remember as Jersey U18 Captain Harry Curtis lifted the U18 Muratti Trophy at Springfield.

The match started in typical Muratti tempo, to the delight of the 300+ spectators sat in the stand. They didn't have to wait long for the first goal, but Jake Prince's run behind the Guernsey defense was judged offside by the linesman as he slotted it past Kelly in the Guernsey goal. With the scores level, it was Guernsey's time to threaten, Legg cut it back from Whitmore whose early strike was well saved by Danny Birrell, a theme that would re-occur throughout the match. It was not long until Birrell was called upon again - Whitmore's looping shot was tipped over the bar as Guernsey looked to open the scoring. Kilshaw had Jersey's next chance, again the ball was cut back by Huckerby who found Kilshaw only to see his effort headed over by Dodds off the line. As the first half came to an end both teams continued to attack, two long range efforts from Devenish flashed just wide of the Guernsey goal. The final chance of the first half fell to Guernsey, a corner just before the end of the first half. The ball fell to Legg, whose venomous shot looked certain to be in. Danny Birrell pulled off an incredible save to keep the score at 0-0.

The second half started in much the same way, high tempo football with chances for both teams. Huckerby again found space down the by-line, only to see his pass roll across the Guernsey goal line. Headers from Dempsey and Devenish flashed just wide of the goal as the scores remained level. Jersey's front five of Kilshaw, Huckerby, Devenish, Burt and Prince caused Guernsey trouble throughout the match, and in the final 5 minutes Prince edged his body in front of Guernsey's Carteret, to get on the end of a low cross from Coutanche. The ball squeezed past Kelly in the Guernsey goal to open the scoring minutes from the final whistle. The action was not over, as Jersey's Birrell was again called to make another last minute save. Jersey held out as the final whistle blew, and the match ended 1-0 to Jersey. U18 Captain Harry Curtis lifted the U18 Muratti Trophy at Springfield, with Jersey Goalkeeper Danny Birrell named Man of the Match.

For all your latest news and results follow us on Facebook & Twitter @JerseyFA