Match Report 101st Muratti Final

Guernsey hosted Jersey in the 101st Muratti Vase Final

Match Report: 101st Hepburns Muratti Vase Final

Guernsey hosted Jersey in the 101st Hepburn's Muratti Vase Final on Saturday the 13th May. The two teams met at a packed Footes Lane. Jersey were looking to retain the Muratti Vase for the third consecutive season. Guernsey players were looking to add some silverware, after what has been a relegation threatening season for players.

The match ball was presented by Guernsey and England international Maya le Tissier. As the Muratti roared into life the Guernsey fans were in fine voice; and they didn't have to wait long for the first goal. Guernsey FA's Heamue was on the end of a rebounded shot to give the home team a early goal much to the delight of the home crowd, who's joyous celebrations collapsed the pitch side barricades. Jersey came into the game showing some great team play. Captain Cavaghn Miley was inspirational in midfield. Rob McBey had a free header at the back post only to see his effort hit the side netting. Jersey's Ben Gallichan was picked out at the back post, his looping header floated over Riley in the Guernsey goal only  for it to be denied by the woodwork. Jersey were punished for not taking their chances when Guernsey's Ross Allen, ran down the right hand side breaking in the box he unleashed a ferocious shot from what looked like an impossible angle to give Guernsey a 2-0 lead. Jersey instantly responded through Miley, a long range effort from the edge of the area only to be denied by the woodwork once again. Gallichan produced a impressive piece of individual skill to beat three Guernsey defenders only to see his effort saved by the young Riley.

As the teams came out for the second half Jersey knew they had to find a goal to get back into this Muratti.  Jersey dominated the possession through-out the half, Boyle and Miley controlled the midfield. Boyle had a free kick in the opening minutes of the second half,  the home crowd jeered as his effort whistled wide. For all the possession Jersey failed to test Riley in the Jersey goal. As Jersey pushed up in search of a opener Guernsey counter attacked. Young found himself with one-on-one with Euan, he tried the chip, but the young St.Paul's keeper plucked it out the air. Jersey Manager Cassidy introduced Russell and Hinds in the second half and it was Karl Hinds who broke the deadlock. As the ball was whipped in from a corner Hinds found himself a yard of space to calmly slot the ball into the bottom left hand corner. The crowd was nervy in the final minutes as Jersey pressed the attack with, a header from Andre, and long range efforts from Boyle and Miley which unfortunately all failed to hit the target.

The referee blew and Guernsey held on to lift the 101st Hepburn's Muratti Vase Final.

For your official Jersey FA images contact Adrian Topley Photography or via Email

For all our news and results follow us on twitter @JerseyFA