2019 Muratti celebrations credit Andy Dovey

Muratti 2019: Jersey celebrate after retaining Vase on penalties

Tim Pryor
Martin Cassidy's side retain the Muratti Vase with a 3-1 penalty shootout victory over Guernsey

Jersey's men capped off a brilliant Muratti weekend for the island with a tense penalty shootout victory over Guernsey at Footes Lane.

Following wins in the Over-50s game (1-0 against a side including Matt Le Tissier), the teacher's Muratti and a women's friendly at The Track, Martin Cassidy's side then held their nerve to retain the Vase 3-1 on spot kicks after it had finished goalless in normal and extra time.

Jersey, who had gone into the match as reigning champions following last season's 1-0 win at Springfield, started brightly with three long-range efforts from captain Jack Boyle. But Boyle was only to last until midway through the first half, going off injured to be replaced by striker Karl Hinds. 

Craig Russell took on the captain's armband and had the visitors' best chance of the half, showing good strength to get into the area but then dragging his shot wide.

Russell again went close to breaking the deadlock five minutes after the restart, twisting and turning in the Guernsey box before seeing his effort superbly headed off the line by Thomas Dodds.

Muratti Vase 2019 action

Jersey were having the bulk of the possession and a great run by Calvin Weir was eventually halted by Keanu Marsh, with Hinds hitting his effort over the bar from the resulting corner. At the other end, Will Fazakerley's header was well blocked before Matt Loaring's follow-up was saved by Euan van der Vliet.

And so to extra time, and Guernsey seemed to up their game, earning a series of consecutive corners and testing Van der Vliet with a couple of long-range efforts.

Jersey were reduced to ten men in the closing minutes, when right back Harry Curtis received a second yellow for something he said to the assistant referee. Neither side could find the winner - the 103rd Muratti final would be settled on penalties.

For Jersey the shootout came just nine days after losing the final of the Southern Counties Cup on spot kicks, and with those memories still fresh Luke Campbell smashed home the opening penalty before Van der Vliet superbly clawed away Guernsey's first effort from Matt Loaring.

Jay Giles, who had come on in the final seconds with penalties in mind, saw his strike brilliantly saved by a full-stretch Jason Martin before Liam Mahon dispatched his penalty to make it 1-1 after two each.

Jack Cannon, with all his Muratti experience, crashed his penalty against the bar but would have been delighted to see De La Mare's penalty saved by Van der Vliet diving to his right.

Russell calmly slotted in his kick to edge his side back in front as Guernsey's penalty woes continued with Thomas Dodds leaning back and hitting it over the bar.

Up stepped Karl Hinds to win it, having missed in the cup final a week and a half earlier, and he showed no nerves sending Martin the wrong way to spark wild celebrations between the Jersey players and their travelling supporters.

Photos: With thanks to Andy Dovey Photography

Jersey: Euan van der Vliet, Harry Curtis, Luke Campbell, James Queree, Jack Cannon, Kamen Nafkha, Adam Trotter, Michael Weir, Calvin Weir, Jack Boyle (C), Craig Russell.

Subs: Danny Birrell, Jay Giles, Ruben Mendes, Karl Hinds, Sol Solomon.

Guernsey: Jason Martin, Thomas Dodds, Jamie Dodd (C), Frank Tobin, Tom de la Mare, Kieran Mahon, Keanu Marsh, Charlton Gauvain, Carlos Canha, Will Fazakerley, Glyn Dyer.

Subs: Liam Mahon, Matt Loaring, Paris Pereira, Seb Skillen, Josh Addison.

Man of the match winner: James Queree (for the second consecutive year)

Attendance: Unknown, approx. 2,000