The Referee Course, run by the Jersey FA, provides the introduction to officiating in 11v11 and 9v9 football. The course will introduce the learner to the Laws of Association Football and their application delivered through theory and practical elements, outlining the skills required to operate as a match official in grassroots football.
Course Aims and Objectives
To provide the learners with an introduction to the principles of officiating, delivering seven modules of training around the laws of the game, application and practical delivery on the training ground and through officiating a minimum of six matches.
Prior to qualification, candidates are required to:
- be at least 14 years of age
- have attended The FA Safeguarding Children Workshop (over 16 years of age) if required
- complete the FA Safeguarding Children Distance Learning Module (under 16 years of age) if required
- complete and posses a current FA Criminal Record Check (CRC) if over 16 years of age
Prior to course, candidates are required to:
- be reasonably physically active
- purchase a whistle and red/yellow cards
- be aware that on successful completion of the course the candidate will be expected to officiate
UNIT 1 – Induction evening (2 hours)
UNIT 2/3 – Day 1 including fouls and misconduct (8 hours)
UNIT 4 – Day 2 including practical examination (8 hours)
UNIT 5 – Written examination (2 hours)
UNIT 6/7 – 6 games and call back event (varied and 2 hours)
Candidates must attend all sessions. Failure to do so will result in your removal from the course. Please note refunds may not be provided.
Theory: The course will introduce some key aspects in the following areas: Introduction to officiating, assessment of knowledge of the laws of the game, fouls and misconduct, misconduct report writing, written examination, theory DVD
The course will also include (at separately organised workshops) the following for candidates: FA CRC (if required) FA Safeguarding Children in Football (If required)
Practical: Practical elements of the course will provide an introduction to application of law along with practical skills and attributes. Candidates will be encouraged to participate practically to maximise their opportunities for learning.