JERSEY FA LAUNCHES PURPLE SHIRT CAMPAIGN FOR UNDER-18 REFEREES
Referees under the age of 18 in Jersey will be provided with a purple shirt from the Jersey FA to wear on match days when officiating in the Combination League.
- To increase the retention of young referees in Jersey
- Decrease the abuse received by young match officials on match day
- Increase support offered to young match officials
- Create a better environment for young referees to develop
What it is
- All referees U18 are supplied with a purple shirt to wear on match day
- The purple shirt is a reminder that the match officials are young and are still learning and that there is an opportunity for spectators and coaches to support them.
- Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and we must ensure that the referees are being looked after and treated with respect when they are present at fixtures
What you (spectators/coaches) can do to support the campaign
- If you see a referee in a purple shirt, recognise that they are only a child and are still learning
- Resist the urge to shout or object to the referee’s decisions
- Treat them as if it were your child refereeing
- Offer the referee the respect they deserve for officiating that game
- Leave the game to the referee and players to enjoy